CLOSED Job Posting: Director of Educational Technology and Business Development
December 22, 2020 | News & Press Releases
The Iowa City Area Development Group seeks a dynamic individual to serve as the Director of Educational Technology and Business Development. This position will aid ICAD’s success as a 501 (c) 6 non-profit that serves to grow the Iowa City Area by providing innovative economic development.
ICAD’s Mission is to create, collaborate and lead regional economic development initiatives that contribute to the creation and growth of companies, wealth and quality jobs through a spirit of innovation and a culture of sharing that transforms knowledge into economic opportunity.
The Director of Ed Tech and Business Development will be responsible for further developing Iowa’s Ed Tech Industry cluster. The Director will consult with Iowa EdTech companies on startup issues such as R&D, strategic marketing, customer development, venture capital funding and strategic partnering. The Director will establish a network of experienced entrepreneurs and investors, lead pitch and investor events related to accelerator companies, and scale up investment for existing companies in the ecosystem.
In addition, the Director will assist in the development and implementation of an existing industry program related to the goals and objectives outlined in ICAD’s Strategic Plan and annual plan of work. The Director will also assist ICAD’s Vice President in providing professional services to primary sector companies seeking to expand and/or relocate operations to ICAD’s service territory.
Entrepreneurial Ecosystem Development
- Expand EdTech Accelerator pilot program into formal annual program. Manage Ed Tech Accelerator for up to 10 companies per year.
- Promote regional incubator and coworking space for EdTech within existing spaces/organizations.
- Assist Director of Communications to highlight Iowa EdTech Accelerator participants and the coworking space/incubator space on social media.
- Assist Director of Communications to highlight Iowa EdTech Accelerator participants on the Iowa EdTech Collaborative website and through regional marketing efforts.
- Assist Director of Communications with creation of videos to promote the Iowa EdTech Accelerator and coworking/incubator space.
- Grow EdTech Iowa mentoring network and establish five mentor/company relationships each year.
- Use existing connections within the EdTech space (locally, regionally, and nationally) to develop and grow an EdTech mentoring network.
- Attend local/state/regional/national events on behalf of the Iowa EdTech Collaborative to build network connections and identify people who could potentially serve as mentors.
- Develop “Pitch Panel” for annual conference to give aspiring entrepreneurs exposure with investors/ mentors and an opportunity to refine their business plan based on feedback.
- Build relationships with Venture Capital firms and early-stage investors with proven interest in EdTech. Identify investors in Midwest ventures.
- Develop an “Assessment Integration Lab” in Iowa City for companies to assess their technologies. The lab will give companies with new products an opportunity to partner with existing assessment-based companies, such as ACT, to develop tools to test the efficacy of their product.
- Promote EdTech entrepreneurship within Iowa research universities. Encourage career paths in EdTech and create EdTech pitch competition for Iowa universities.
EdTech Collaborative Development
- Identify existing K–12 and higher education institutions that have collaborated or would collaborate with Iowa EdTech companies. Target ten school districts willing to facilitate school pilots of new education technologies throughout the state.
- Develop a mobile EdTech Iowa demonstration lab. Coordinate pop-up events each year for EdTech companies to demonstrate their products to educators and students for customer feedback.
- Assess development of non-school environments for piloting and testing. Collaborate with parents, educators and solution providers to develop non-traditional test beds due to virtual education.
- Develop training and exposure program in EdTech for teachers and superintendents, leveraging existing teacher outreach and training efforts through Governor’s STEM Advisory Council. Work with Governor’s STEM Council to develop teacher externship program with the Iowa EdTech Collaborative companies.
- Conduct needs assessment, using Iowa STEM Evaluation Report and other Future Ready Iowa workforce training resources as benchmarks, to determine potential market needs.
- Conduct yearly surveys for educators state-wide as customer discovery and educate our educators on the initiative and technologies that are being created as part of the EdTech Collaborative.
- Conduct one design thinking workshop each year in partnership with STEM Innovator from the University of Iowa to identify problems they are working on addressing as Iowa Educators. Share feedback with network as a future product development opportunity.
- Assist in the implementation of annual existing industry programming (utilizing Synchronist® Web-based survey system) and perform necessary follow-up functions.
- Provide leadership, in partnership with Vice President, for expansion, attraction and retention projects, including prospect packet material development.
- Provide grant writing assistance and resources to clients for all applicable local and state financial assistance programs.
- Provide leadership to research the area and region’s targeted industry clusters and develop and implement necessary marketing materials to attract and retain targeted industries.
- Responsible for execution of the strategy and tactical action plans in collaboration with the VP of Strategic Growth and Director of Marketing for the Iowa Ed Tech Collaborative. Set meetings, convene stakeholders, and develop relationships with key partners across the state, region, and nation to increase investment, company starts, and quality job creation in the sector locally and statewide.
- Develop, maintain, and grow relationships with external stakeholders and regional partners. Including Cities, Counties, Non-Profits, IEDA + Economic Development Orgs, Utility Providers, Entrepreneurial Support Orgs, Higher Ed Institutions, Workforce Support Organizations, Venture Capital Groups, Commercial Real Estate, Site Selectors, and Interstate Commerce Companies.
- Support and maintain LOIS database ensuring accuracy of buildings and site listings. Work with Director of Operations to facilitate entry and deletion of listings on a routine basis.
- Interpersonal Skills: Ability to create a welcoming and engaging environment to communicate with partners, clients, and collaborators.
- Writing: Communicate effectively in writing as appropriate in email, digital platforms, and internal and external communication materials.
- Presentation Skills: Comfort with the development and delivery of materials via multiple platforms to diverse audiences. It includes all levels of an organization from receptionist to C-suite. It also includes 1 on 1 to large group interactions. Platforms include technologies like zoom, in-person, and video/social media.
- Marketing: Ability to develop and execute marketing strategies in collaboration with the Director of Communications across multiple mediums.
- Situational Adaptability: Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations. Comfortable with ambiguity and ability to operate in a rapidly changing environment.
- Consultative Sales: Ability to develop and execute sales strategies that include lead generation and qualification, follow-up and engagement with a consultative approach to identify and address client needs, and the ability to close.
- Collaboration: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-motivated: Possess a general bias towards action, motivated to take action without requiring direction.
- Strategy: Ability to develop and execute an annual agile strategy to include tactical action plans and success metrics.
- Skills Based Hiring: Knowledge of and experience with skills based hiring practices. The ability to effectively educate clients and support the implementation of a skills-based approach to organizations that are interested.
- Analytical & Decision Making: Ability to analyze data and information to guide in strategy development and execution of strategic action plans.
- Strategic Doing: Knowledge and experience in the strategic doing methodology to guide complex collaborations.
- Growth Mindset: Lifelong learner that is open to exploring new ideas and concepts, seeker of knowledge and intellectually curious.
- Generative Leadership: Ability to lead and take accountability for the collective learning of the organization. Demonstrate an unwavering Commitment to continuous learning. Create a deep Connection and engagement with the team. The Courage to take risks and the guts to be decisive. Complete within themselves and from that space helping others to become complete in themselves.
- Financial Acument: General knowledge and experience with budgets, financial statements, and financial reporting functions.
- Human Resources: General knowledge of HR functions including talent recruitment, on-boarding, retention, development, and benefits.
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA, MPA, J.D. or related advanced degree
- An experienced professional in economic development. 3+ years experience
- Experience developing an industry cluster
- Experience in grant writing and management
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson and relationship builder
* Funding for this position is contingent on award of an EDA grant which is anticipated in early January.
ICAD Group is an equal opportunity employer
This position reports to the President and Vice President of ICAD
Starting Salary Range:
Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Health / Dental Insurance, 401K, Vehicle Allowance, Cell Phone Allowance, Paid Parking, progressive PTO Policy
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com